The Community of Llangattock lies in the South-East corner of the County of Powys, to the south of the River Usk opposite the market town of Crickhowell. It is also within the Brecon Beacons National Park and is an area of great natural beauty, dominated by the limestone crags of Mynydd Llangatwg. ‘Llangattock’ is the anglicised version of the Welsh name ‘Llangatwg’ (Llan – a church or enclosure; Catwg – the Patron Saint).
The origins of the village are likely to have been associated with the ecclesiastical settlement. The oldest part of Llangattock is centred around St Catwg’s Church, which dates back to the 11th Century. Llangattock village lies in the valley, but there are also the outlying hamlets of the Dardy, Ffawyddog, Legar and Hillside, which form the wider settlement of Llangattock. The present population is approximately 1200.
The parish of Llangattock is older than Crickhowell, and the church predates St Edmunds by some 200 years. However, the original would have been much older, being the Llan, or parish of St Catwg, a Celtic saint, and indeed in 1060, the parish extended to Cwmdu, Llanbedr and Patricio.
Under current restrictions, the church is not open every day and services of Morning Prayer are only held on alternate weeks, the 1st, 3rd, (and 5th) Sundays.
Land for the new Bethesda Congregational Church was donated by Sir Joseph Bailey. He had inherited a fortune from Cyfarthfa Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil, and bought Glanusk Park, among other properties.
Evidence of Llangattock's past can be seen throughout the village.
In the Recreation Ground, you will find a scheduled ancient monument; a burial chamber dating back to Neolithic date (4,000-2,500 BC). Bronze age settlements can be found on the surrounding mountains and Crug Hywel or Table Mountain, which gives Crickhowell its name was a fort.